The Competitions Chairs of GECCO 2021 invites domain experts to submit proposals for organizing a competition at GECCO 2021. The NON-EXTENSIBLE deadline is:
- Proposals for competitions: November 5, 2020
- Acceptance Decision: December 3, 2020
Competitions demonstrate how Evolutionary Computation and related techniques can be utilized in challenging practical, real-world and gaming settings. They also enable fair comparisons between algorithms and (for recurrent competitions) provide the possibility to follow the development of approaches over time.
We are offering the publication of short algorithm descriptions as 2-page contributions to the GECCO Companion. The competition organizers decide whether they want to offer this to the competition participants. The deadline for these algorithm descriptions will be in April 2021, and they will be reviewed by the respective competition organizers. Your competition’s deadline can be after the 2-pages are due, e.g. in June.
While fame and certificates attract some participants, others are attracted by prizes. We encourage the competition organizers to source sponsors prizes. The sponsors can either directly donate a prize to your competition, or they can sign up for an official ‘GECCO-level’ sponsorship (or a customized variant of one) where, of course, an agreement would be made that their donation is meant to sponsor (in part or in total) the competition. Please note that we are merely encouraging this as a way of attracting additional attention - it is not mandatory to have a sponsor, and we might even be able to organize a sponsor for you, if interested.
To submit a proposal click in the button below (you need to log in). Submitters should be prepared to provide the following information:
- The competition title. Please refrain from using special characters in the title.
- A description of the competition. This field will also be displayed on the website as the default description for the competition if it is accepted.
- The name, affiliation, email and short bio of the organizer(s). The first organizer will be the default contact person, but more organizers can be designated as contact person.
- (Optional) A URL with more info about the competition.
- The deadline for competitors to submit their artifacts/results (it can be after the 2-pages are due, if this option is offered to the participants).
- (Optional) If the competition has been held before, then also provide the web address of the last edition and what you will change in case you plan any changes.
- Description of any prizes and how they will be sourced.
- Description of the judging process.
- (Optional) How do you plan to encourage newcomers? Can you provide tutorials (incl. videos) to make the entrance easier?
- (Optional) What is the dissemination plan for the submitted artifacts (please explain how you would like to handle the potential issues related to intellectual property of the artifacts, if any).
- (Optional) Any other relevant information to evaluate the competition proposal.
Please log in to submit a proposal
- If you already have an account on this site, you need to log in. Please note that in 2021 your user name is now your email address and that most user accounts from 2020 and before have not been migrated to the new website.
- If you don't have an account, you need to register a new account.
- When a passcode is required, enter 'q2M1G!@f' (without the quotes).
- Confirm your email address and log in to the site.
If you have questions regarding the competitions at GECCO 2021, please contact the Competitions Chairs:
Marcella Scoczynski Ribeiro Martins
Federal University of Technology - Paraná, Brazil
Email: marcella (at) utfpr.edu.br
University of Adelaide, Australia
Email: markus.wagner (at) adelaide.edu.au
If you encounter issues or have questions about the Competition Proposal submission process on the GECCO website, please contact the Electronic Media Chair:
University of Lille, France
Email: nadarajen.veerapen (at) univ-lille.fr
Competition proposals will be reviewed by the Competitions Chair and other members of the GECCO 2021 organizing committee. Final decisions will be made based on GECCO attendees' and competitors' likely interest, the breadth and depth of the topic(s), and the expertise and credentials of the organizer(s).
The outcome of the review process is scheduled to be announced on December 3, 2020.